Monday, October 20, 2008

Big Trees, Weird Roots


The trees here are so amazing it will take several posts to describe them. I'm just going to show you two of them I walk past on the way to my office. They both have the weird root thing that is common here.
Not only are these roots huge, they look like they're trying to escape from the planter. Like these.
There are lots of these kinds of trees on campus. The other interesting tree looks like a haystack, except the roots are coming down from the tree not up from the ground.


And here's a picture of the bamboo trees that grow in the courtyard of Sakamaki Hall, the building where the philosophy department is housed. They are so graceful, they whisper as they slow dance with the wind.

(I know that's three trees and not two but I got carried away. The trees really freak me out.)