Friday, October 17, 2008

Farmers Market Friday

Every Friday there is a Farmers Market on campus near the Student Center. This picture is actually from a couple of weeks ago because today I had my hands full with a back pack, lunch bag, and coffee cup. The Farmers Market is between the bus stop and my office so I was still carrying all the stuff it seems to take to get through the day. I bought a really ripe papaya and an almost ripe mango because Rick loves fruit for breakfast. I also got a bag of fresh mint. (Probably withered mint wouldn't sell well.) There was lots of other stuff, too, but Rick goes to the Kailua Farmers Market on Thursdays so I just get whatever was missing there or he forgot.
I walked in one side of the covered walk way, picked up my fruit, paid for it and it was raining as I stepped out. It happens just that fast. It's kind of like the sprinklers on the produce aisle at the grocery store, except there's no fake thunder to warn you. Water just starts falling from the sky, often with the sun still shining. Here in Manoa, it is usually just a quick shower and it's gone. In Kailua, the rain comes just as quickly but it's more like a fire hose opened and then shut. As I got off the bus last night, the air was completely clear but water was rushing in the gutters (and on low places in the sidewalk) from a quick downpour that I had just missed. As a consequence, students carry umbrellas in the side pocket of their backpacks that is designed for a water bottle. Makes it much easier for quick-draw coverage. This plant is outside the door to my building. It still had some rain drops but the rain had stopped so I could manage to take a picture while juggling the closed umbrella and now-empty coffee cup.