Friday, November 14, 2008

More unusual plants

These look like Dr. Seuss trees. They're in on the patio of the Student Center. Except in Hawaii a patio is called a lanai. Also, it's not exactly a patio -- most of the buildings on campus have passages that are just open to the air rather than hallways. So, the tree plants are in what would be a corner of a hall.This plant is bigger than it looks. The leaves are bigger than I am and they kind of bend in the middle. It makes me think it is trying to eat me. It's trying to eat this car. Or even an SUV!
And it's growing a new leaf -- see the thing that looks like a stick? It will unroll into another enormous leaf.
New flowers come out of a pod that grows on the palm tree trunk.They spread out, make flowers and then the flowers turn into fruit.
This last picture is from today. I've walked by a row of green plants near my office every day and now, suddenly, they popped out with some beautiful flowers!