Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veterans Day breeze

Rick wanted to sail on Tuesday and I had the day off for the Veterans Day holiday so we headed for the marina. He recently bought a small boat with a partner. Somehow when we were planning this move, the fact that sailing involves more than one person never occurred to me. I had been on a sail boat exactly one time in my life. It was small and already in the water -- I didn't see what it took to get the sails up and ready.My first job on our first sailing lesson was to hoist the main sail. I'm pretty sure I was planning to experience being sailed rather than actually pulling ropes (yes, I know now they are called sheets) and trying not to hit coral reefs or make the sails go flat.But it is wonderful out on the water. So quiet. So peaceful. And, on Tuesday, so windy! Too windy for a couple of novice sailors and a small boat. We sail past the beach where the opening to Gilligan's Island was shot and I have been telling people that my sailing objective is to be Gilligan (just good enough not to get in the Captain's way). But I have no desire to actually get blown off course and see it first hand. So we skipped the boat and headed for the beach.We were forced to spend the afternoon watching kite-surfers and wind-surfers putting the wind to good use.